Macaroni and cheese may not be the most nutritious choice, but preparing it from scratch provides an opportunity to have fun and add value to an otherwise starchy meal. Select whole wheat pasta, use lowfat milk and cheese, and add some fresh chopped herbs or vegetables like parsley, broccoli, peas, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms.
- Cabbage Salad
- Made from Scratch Macaroni and Cheese
- Sliced Banana
- Steamed Yams
- Prepare the a shredded cabbage salad according to the recipe HERE. (included below)
- Prepare the macaroni and cheese from scratch. Mollie Katzen's "Not-from-a-box Macaroni and Cheese" recipe from her Honest Pretzels Cookbook is one of our favorites.
- Slice the banana.
- Peel, cube, and steam the yam.
- If you're cooking for kids, getting them involved in the kitchen will foster excitement for this great lunch.
Nutty Cabbage SaladKeep a head of cabbage in the refrigerator for those days when you need a fresh vegetable and don't have time to run to the store. It's versatile and doesn't spoil as quickly as many other vegetables.
- 1 heaping Tbs. almond butter
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. water
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or pecans
- 2 chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Stir the almond butter, vinegar, tamari and water to form a smooth paste.
2. Chop the cabbage, nuts, scallions and cilantro.
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.